Beets and Health Benefits
Beets are loaded with vitamins and minerals and low in calories and fat. They also contain inorganic nitrates and pigments, both of which have a number of health benefits.
Beets are very commonly available in almost every season of the year all over the world. Beets are packed with many vitamins, minerals and hence have many medicinal properties.
Following are various health benefits of Beets–
- It is a great nutrition having low calories. And many vitamins and minerals.
- Beets have shown good results in lowering blood pressure and thereby reducing the risk of deadly diseases like heart disease or stroke. The effect appears greater for systolic blood pressure (when your heart contracts) than diastolic blood pressure (when your heart is relaxed). Effect can be more by consuming raw beets than cooked one.
- Beets are for Athletes as its intake improves their performance level to great extent. Drinking beet juice is also found effective in improving performance of athletes. Studies suggest enhancement of performance due to dietary nitrates in the Beets. Nitrates improve the efficiency of mitochondria, responsible for producing energy in the cells.
- Pigments called battalions in beets possess a number of anti-inflammatory properties helping fighting the inflammation in the body. Beta lain capsules made with beetroot extract have reduced the pain and discomfort associated with osteoarthritis.
- Fiber is important in digestion and beets are good source of fiber helping in everyday digestion. Fibber in beets helps in reducing appetite and also gives feelings of fullness.
- A reduction in blood flow and oxygen supply to the brain contributes the declines of brain health. Beets have improved blood flow to the frontal lobe of the brain and hence useful in maintaining memory and taking decisions. Nitrates in Beet may improve mental and cognitive function by promoting the dilation of blood vessels, thereby improving blood flow to the brain.
- Beets can be good choice for weight loss as they contain low calories and are high in water. Further Beets contains moderate amount of protein and fibre. Fibre in beets may promote weight loss by reducing appetite and providing the feeling of fullness.
Beets can be easily added to salads or fresh beetroot is also best. Beet leaves can well be cooked and enjoyed like spinach.