WAYS OF BOOSTING IMMUNE SYSTEM
The immune system is the body’s defense against infectious organisms and other invaders. Through a series of steps called the immune response, the immune system attacks organisms and substances that invade body systems and cause disease.Immune system is highly important system of your body doing remarkable function of defending you against diseases. But at time it fails when it is weak. There is no proof that particular activity or lifestyle change can result into boosting of your immune system. Researchers have found that healthy and strong immune system is possible with healthy living strategies. Following are various factors which may boost your immune system.
- Regular exercise – This is the prime factor affecting persons’ immune system. Those who exercise daily or five days a week for minimum 3-40 minutes have better immune system. Exercise is the important pillar of healthy living. Exercise increases circulation which helps the cells in immune system to move freely and work efficiently in your body.
A study conducted by David Nieman, a professor of public health & director of Human Performance Lab at Appalachian State University found that 30 minutes of brisk walking increased the circulation of natural killer cells, white blood cells and other immune system warriors. However it is also observed that immune boosting effects of exercise are fairly short lived. Therefore regular exercise is crucial for healthy life.
30-60 minutes moderate intensity aerobic exercise – brisk walking, cycling, easy running are best in optimizing immune function. Further it is also felt that during flue or cold “Rest is recommended”. Exercise cannot be used as therapy to overtake flu or cold.
- Sound sleep- Sound sleep of seven or more hours a night is essential for good immune system. There is no single yardstick for everybody, and may defer from person to person. Lack of sleep results in multiple health problems and so never is neglected.
- Healthy Diet – Diet is another important factor contributing to good immune system. Diet is fuel of our body and proper fuel is a must for our immune system as per Dr. Jason Goldsmith, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Pennsylvania’s Institute of Immunology. Good and regular nourishment is essential attribute of improving immune system. Many people in US are deficient in certain vitamins and minerals. Particularly vitamin B, C, D and Zinc are important for proper immune system.
- Supplements -Vitamin D is more important as its deficiency is associated with both autoimmune diseases and poorer immune functions. Taking vitamin D supplement could reduce risk for common colds and infections by 10% as shown by research.
- Stress free Life – Mind and Body are closely related. Effect of mind on body appears in the form of difference diseases. Stress is associated with multiple ailments like headache, stomach pain, acidity, diabetes and even heart attacks. So living stress free life is key to developing immune system, which would take care of every organ of your body